The shortest and most actionable advice to choose a drone

If you are a complete beginner in the drones world, this post is for you.

There are 3 things I want to share with you today to go about this.

1. A drone is only as good as the flight experience people buying it get.
  2. Flight experience can be measured by the flight and charge times, flight range, and camera specs.
  3. In order to ensure customer satisfaction, budget (not necessarily the price tag of the drone) and customer reviews and ratings must be assessed as well.

If you focus on checking those 3 things, you’ll get the best possible drone for you.

Let me expand a bit on each of these factors.

• Budget: Make sure you define an amount of dollars to spend on your drone. For beginners, a good number is $100. Also, notice you may need spare parts, extra batteries, registration fees (if applicable in your country), and additional accessories for your drone.

• Customer reviews and ratings: If you are a beginner, you want to keep very strict criteria about this. For instance, I would encourage you to consider getting drones with 4+ stars rating, and from dozens, hundreds, or thousands of verified customer reviews. Doing otherwise could lead to disappointment.

• Flight time: The period of time your drone can spend in the air on a single battery pack. You might be surprised most drones for beginners can only fly for 6 to 9 minutes, so extra batteries are definitely useful when wanting to fly for longer periods of time.

• Charge time: In addition to flight time, the batteries of these drones can take up to 90 minutes to fully recharge, so you’ll find more logic in my advice about getting extra batteries, besides, these are super affordable, and many times you can buy a package to charge several at a time. Just make sure you get all the appropriate hardware to do this safely.

• Flight range: The maximum distance at which your drone is still operative without loosing signal from the transmitter. Knowing your drone’s flight range is very important to avoid issues with the law for private property damage or hurting someone.

• Camera specs: Depending on what you wan to do with this drone, the camera specs will matter or not. For instance, probably you need 4K footage, or live-streaming images to your smartphone. If so, you should check camera specs to meet your needs.

Want some more info?

Then check out this infograhic I created with even more details.